This was my first SplunkLive event. I'd have to say I like Splunk, I thought the facility was great, and breakfast/lunch was nice too. Keep in mind nobody had to pay for anything at this event and there were some bits and peices of information to walk away with.
Pros: Lunch - no not just the food, but the Splunk users panel. The Splunk users panel consisted of 7-8 people that had a range of experience in using splunk, integrating splunk, and even the politics that surround deploying it to areas that the Splunk admin didn't have direct control over the logs. I think this is where the heart of SplunkLive lives. You get people that will praise splunk where it shines and aren't afraid to say what Splunk lacks. Nobody from the users panel tried to make claims that Splunk was a replacement product for SIEMs or claimed Splunk can do anything. They were real about what is can do and can do very well. It appears that Splunk 4.2 will bring added capability to fill in the few areas that are lacking.
Cons: Morning... 9-12 is really a Splunk> infomerical - live! You get to hear from a few large companies that use Splunk and their success stories and from Splunk employees, but it is really just an unneeded sell to a crowd that already uses splunk. We get it! Splunk is good. We don't need 3 hours of people giving testimonials.
I went to the Advanced training session for the afternoon event. It was okay. If you had something you wanted to ask you could, but you weren't going to get a great answer. You did however, get some advice where to go to look things up for yourself. Not what I expected for a "training" session. Again, it was free.
I'd probably go to one more to see if anything changes.
Nov 3, 2010
* What is Splunk? From Fixing IT to Delivering Real-time Business Insights
* Customer Presentations
* See Splunk in Action–overview demo
* Q & A
* Optional Technical Workshop
Join Splunk Experts for an overview of Splunk. From getting started to creating intelligent searches, alerts and building the dashboards your team needs to deliver insight to the business.
* Experience how easy it is to get Splunk up and running
* Learn new and powerful ways to sift through your mountains of IT data
* Get advice from the pros on how to deploy Splunk
* Set up custom roles, dashboards and reports
* Try your hand at custom application development with Splunk
* Network with Splunk users and fellow IT pros
* Learn tips and tricks you can take back to the office
* Have the most fun you've ever had with an IT software product
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
* 8:30am to 9:00am - Registration
* 9:00am to 12:00pm - SplunkLive!
* 12:00pm to 1:00pm - Lunch
* 1:00pm to 3:00pm - Technical Workshop: Getting Started User Training
* 1:00pm to 3:00pm - Technical Workshop: Advanced User Training
Hyatt Regency Baltimore
300 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21202